Sep 25, 2010

A Good Read

Fall is in the air, and with it, my desire to curl up on the couch with a hot mug of tea, my fuzzy white blanket, and a good book has definitely arrived.  If I could run down to a book shop this afternoon after work, these are the two titles I'd pick up.  I haven't read either of them, but I want to... I plan to... whenever I can get my hands on a copy.

But even though I'm learning a lesson in delayed gratification, you probably don't have to... both of these books are out there today; ready to be brought home and made your own.

Somewhere More Holy: Stories from a Bewildered Father, Stumbling Husband, Reluctant Handyman, and Prodigal Son by Tony Woodlief
(I know very little about this book, but the excerpt I read was beautifully written and full of raw honesty and grace... I think it will be a good one.)

Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother by Xinran
(OK, so this one is only available on Kindle right now.  This doesn't look like a "feel-good" book, but it does look like a book of truth spoken in love.  A book that book that perhaps will deepen our perspectives and understanding of one another.)

If you're so inclined to purchase either of these books right away, clicking on the above links should send a portion of your sale to NDFH.  I think I did it right.  :)

4 comments:

Kim said...

I am always looking for book recommendations. Following your links now!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim
P.S. Can you send us some fall like weather?

Anonymous said...

I've read Xinran's first book and was just gripped, particularly by the last story of the women who lived in a remote village and didn't have enough clothes for all the girls in the family to go out of the house every day, so they took turns. Yet, she said that of all the women she interviewed throughout China, this was the only group of women who seemed completely happy. I would love to read this book, but I don't have a Kindle, so I'll have to hope it comes out here in print. Virginia

Mrs. Winn said...

I saw a post about Xinran's book in the Spring on a blog and ordered it from the UK off of an Amazon link to an overseas bookseller. It is difficult emotionally to read, but amazingly well written and very thought provoking. Each chapter is a different tale. I could only take one story at a time. So much to process. I've searched out her other books from the library. I'm now a big fan.
~Kelly

Unknown said...

I ordered Message from An Unknown Chinese Mother from Amazon Canada. It was an emotional read but one that was well worth it. The reality of the stories is eye opening and compelling. Strongly recommend it!
Kelly
from www.wearegraftedin.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails