Aug 7, 2007

On Trust

Our story is perhaps a paradigm for every trusting disciple. The way of trust is a movement into obscurity, into the undefined, into ambiguity; not into some predetermined, clearly delineated plan for the future. The next step discloses itself only out of a discernment of God acting in the desert of the present moment. The reality of naked trust is the life of a pilgrim who leaves what is nailed down, obvious, and secure, and walks into the unknown without any rational explanation to justify the decision or guarantee the future. Why? Because God has signaled the movement and offered it his presence and his promise.
From: Ruthless Trust, by Brenning Manning

Jacob and I are reading this book right now... we're only through chapter one, but so far I would recommend it! I've read and re-read the above paragraph several times -- and all I can say is wow. It really hits on where we are right now (or at least where we're trying to be). Just wanted to share... he said it so much better than I ever could.

1 comment:

The Byrd's Nest said...

I love that, I'm ordering that today! We all need to be reminded about naked trust.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails