Nov 8, 2009

Controlling the Weather



Thanks to the government, Beijing had its first snow last Sunday.  We're supposed to get some more this week.  It was unseasonably early -- and a beautiful snow for a normally dry capital -- but the timing was a bit poor, IMHO, as the heat wasn't on.

One of the unusual things about living in China is that the heat in our homes (via radiators) is turned on and off according to an official calendar.  November 15th it comes on; March 15th it goes off.  This year, due to winter's early arrival, they started the heat a bit earlier (yesterday).  But it still hasn't warmed up yet, and the nights are dipping below freezing.

I'm not a fan of winter.  But, I have my eye set on February, and I think I can power through the next few months.  This is the only time of the year I really miss a car, as those 15 minute walks to work are brutal in sub-zero temps.  I really don't do winter well.

Woe is me.

3 comments:

TanyaLea said...

I heard about the gov't induced snowfall from a fellow blogger friend who's family moved to HongKong this past summer. I never knew they could do such a thing, and I'm not sure what to make of such an interference with nature. Somehow I like to leave the weather patterns in God's hands!

It's always so interesting to learn about your life over there and to hear how different things really are. Bundle up, as it sounds like you have a cold several months of walking in front of you!

Big hugs,
~Tanya

Ruth Marie said...

Hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts.

MJ said...

Oh my. From a very American perspective, that is so scary the control they have over even the heating!!!

I echo Tanya in that it is interesting to learn about your life over there.

Is there anything I can send you to help with the 'commute' (ha ha) to work? I'm working on Evan's Christmas box, and can pop it in. I would be honored to do it. :0)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails