Oct 30, 2009

The Real World



Click on the picture of the drying persimmons to see lots more pictures from our trip.  When I visit places like this, what I find most fasicinating is the way that normal people live... and I'm always struck by how intensely hard they labor... everything is done by hand -- from mending nets to threshing rice to catching fish to carrying building materials up a mountainside.

Friends, this is the real world... most of the world's population lives much closer to this kind of lifestyle than the kind you and I enjoy.  We should pause and be thankful for what we've been given.

And then we should try to remember that to whom much is given, much is expected.

6 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

I can't begin to express the contrasting emotions I feel when looking at the pictures. There is a beauty to them...although in a way, it is a heartbreaking beauty. I look at how these people live and I feel so spoiled...but I'm also jealous of the simplicity of their lives. And, perhaps the strangest feeling of all is the feeling that part of me belongs there...that somehow part of myself is there with those people.

MJ said...

I'm with Tara. There is some type of heartbreaking beauty there in the pictures. Almost a sadness, a sorrow, comes through the beauty of the country and it's people. I'm sad, we know who longs to fill their empty souls.

Dinner looked interesting!

Chris said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for bringing the "real" country to us. When we travelled we were protected from too much culture.

Jenna said...

WOW! I love this post. So few words, with such HUGE impact. It is so true.

I haven't had the chance to look at the pictures yet, but you know I will ASAP!!! :)

Still waiting to hear news of your new project....dying of curiosity!!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

I agree....it is a bit overwhelming when you go out and see their living environments. Here in the city they are so terribly poor but it is so different from the poor in the country by the mountains. They are farmers there and work so hard for every penny. So much need...so much need;)

Chris and Jane said...

Those are really great pics. I have to say my favorite was the one of Ricky's car with "Ricky Loves You" over the wheel. Awesome.
You'll have to tell me more about the little village...it looked beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails