Jul 13, 2009

Rundown

I've been a bad blogger this last week... we'll blame it on sickness. Ever since coming back from our trip, Jacob and I can't seem to get the upper hand. We've now just about run the gamut -- sinus infections, stomach bug, food poisoning, laryngitis, and a cold. Fun stuff. Just what you wanted to come to our blog and read about... blech.

But - tomorrow is a new morning! Hopefully symptom-free!! :)

In other news...
  • Our 3 little pre-surgery kiddos are not yet scheduled for surgery. Cora still needs an angiogram, and so she's still in the hospital waiting for that, but the others are back home waiting on the tests to be processed and reviewed.
  • But Ethan and Sadie are both up for surgery soon -- Ethan will be having hypospadias surgery and Sadie will be having her spina bifida corrected. Both are in the hospital waiting for surgery now.
  • Elizabeth moved in with a new foster family. She's so happy. It's precious to see the joy. Sad that she's no longer our neighbor, but happy for her.
  • Two Lindsays arrived recently! One of them is new this summer, and she learned about our foster home from her aunt who is a blog friend of ours. And the other Lindsay was here last summer and fell in love with Julia. You may remember her super-funny Julia videos, if you've been a long-time blog reader. For Jacob and me, it's really cool to have the opportunity to see others get involved in this kind of work through some personal connection with us. It just makes us feel good. :)
  • On that note, I got the coolest letter from a woman named Tara who found our blog. She shared how God used some of my stories about the children to bust up her fears about adopting a child with a serious heart defect! That was super-encouraging, and like the above point, just made us feel good. :)
  • So we're gearing up for a trip home. We'll be stateside Aug 1-27, with a good chunk of that time being spent with our families. But, we're planning a trip to the Dallas-Fort Worth area sometime the week of Aug. 17 or so.
  • Which brings me to the next question... I can see blog visitor stats, and I know that a good chunk of our loyal readers live in the DFW area. So I'm toying with the idea of having some sort of mini-gathering while we're in the city. We'd love to share with you in person and just get to know you better. So, if you'd be interested in meeting up with us while we're there, I'd love to hear from you! While we'd love to have lunch with each of you personally, there probably isn't the time for that, so maybe we can do some sort of group thing. If you'd like to meet, any ideas about where to meet would also be appreciated. It's August. In Dallas. Indoors might be best. :) But, we have no idea about a place where we could get together. I hope I get some e-mails! (jacobandcarrie@gmail.com)
  • Also, a couple of months ago, I mentioned wanting to use some of the time we're home to meet with new churches and people interested in getting more involved in our work. We don't have any firm plans set in that department yet, and we're only home about once every 8 months, so it would be good to use this trip to make some new connections. To be honest, for the most part, we've done this work independent of any churches. If we're going to be doing this kind of work for the foreseeable future, we need to form some new partnerships. This is another thing you can e-mail us about.
  • In other fun blog stat news -- someone landed on our blog after googling "windy skirt." I'm not sure what post I made about windy skirts, but I can't help but wonder if the person found what they were looking for on my blog. Probably not.
  • Last thing - Does anyone have a really, really yummy sugar cookie recipe? I've been wanting to make some, and I want guaranteed success.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, we are in Denton and would love the opportunity for some kind of get-together while you are in the D/FW area. Keep us posted!

Tara Anderson said...

Carrie, that anonymous post was from me...don't know how that happened. It may have something to do with the fact that I've not yet finished my first cup of coffee. :) Trying again....Tara

The Byrd's Nest said...

Windy skirt??? lol

I wish I could meet you in person just simply to give you a big ole hug!

Praying you are feeling better.

You KNOW how much I LOVE Julia! Oh she makes my heart melt!

TanyaLea said...

Ohhh, how I wish I lived in or near Dallas, but I'm afraid the MSP area is just a little too far north to make the drive!! Hopefully I'll get to meet you when we travel to China. Have a safe and blessed trip home to the states...we'll be praying for ya!

And the "windy skirt" search...WHAT!?...Too Funny!! lol! Yep, I kinda doubt it was what they had in mind... so maybe it was a divine appointment!!! :)

Blessings and Hugs,
~Tanya

Football and Fried Rice said...

So glad to hear that a certain Lindsay is there for the summer. And THRILLED to hear Julia has a family - how God sized is that?!

How hilarious that someone stumbled looking up windy skirt. WHAT IS a windy skirt?

Aunt Viola's Sugar Cookies (with a name like that, you can BET success!)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Oleo/margarine
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
3 1/ Cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. salt

Cream oleo/butter & sugar. Add eggs & flavorings. Mix salt & baking powder with the flour and add to the creamed mixture. Chill for several hours. Roll out small portions onto lightly floured counter 1/8" thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake on un-greased cookie sheet 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Best served with Wilton's Buttercream Frosting! Yumm-O. This is the only recipe I use for all the holidays. With 3 kids, sugar cookies are always a hit!

The Arab Musicians said...

It looks like we are going to barely miss you in DFW. We'll be there for about two weeks, but won't arrive until August 25. I would have loved to meet you.

Someone once got to our blog after googling "arab cuties." I'm sure they were sorely disappointed.

Nora Glenys said...

We would love to see you. You are welcome to meet everyone at our house but we're over 100 miles from Dallas. It's probably too far. Del's sister gave me a great sugar cookie recipe. The cookies are soft. They can be frosted if you like.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

In Texas I have to add some extra moisture to the cookies. I don't know what the humidity is like where you are. I know you can make cookies so I wont make you read the directions.

Let us know about a meeting place. We would love to see you. We have pictures of Nora and Maria and it would be nice to have pictures of you and Nora also.

The Ferrill's said...

Praying good health and travel mercies for you both!!!!!! Wish I was in the TX area...but I know whoever gets to meet with yall will surely be blessed! ;)

Mike and Barb said...

Nope, not from TX either (but how about a visit to Wyoming?? LOL).
I don't even know if I have ever posted a comment (???), but I LOVE your blog, and your work, and your heart, and your dedication. Your stories touch me, and I even make my husband read some of your posts.
Anyway, here is a sugar cookie recipe that is a huge favorite around our house - we frost them with a mixture of powdered sugar and lemon juice - yumm!
And to make them even more appealing - in my recipe collection they are named "Best sugar cookies - a recipe from Carrie's Grandma" (obviously not you, but another friend of mine named Carrie - how about THAT!)

1 c sugar
1 c butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
Vanilla and Salt to taste
3 1/2 cups flour

mix in the above order. Chill.
Roll out about 1/8 inch thick, cut out.
Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 12 minutes.

Enjoy!

Many blessings from Wyoming
Barb

sierrasmom said...

How about a trip to NY?????? I would love to meet you and hear about your work!!!
Kathie

Jenny said...

Carrie- is OKC close enough??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails