Jul 19, 2008

Fresh Eyes


Like I said earlier, Lindsay left yesterday. She is 16 years old and we've known her family for several years. They've adopted 2 little girls from China, and I met them during their first adoption. I was their social worker. Anyway, after she left, her mom forwarded me the update letters Lindsay sent to the folks back at home while she was here.

It was so refreshing to see our lives from someone else's eyes. Lately it has become a bit too commonplace. Odd that something as foreign as China has become common to us, but in that happening, it has become way to easy to take all of this for granted and to get way too frustrated with the everyday inconveniences. But, seeing Lindsay's perspective on things was a good reminder that we are so blessed to be able to have this life experience.

On a totally unrelated front - can I just say that it was incredibly cool to meet a 16-year-old who cared more about orphans than Abercrombie (is that even still cool?!), and more about justice than who's getting married in Hollywood. Lindsay, thank you for coming to stay with us... We're praying that you have the strength to always remain committed to your passions, for you are well on your way to changing your own little corner of the world. We can't wait to see what you do!

Anyway, I wanted to share one of her letters with you. Powerful words from a 16 year old, don't you think?

--------------------------------------

How sad I am now just shows how happy I was the past three weeks, and confirms in my heart that this kind of work is what I want to be doing for the rest of my life, so I can help all the Julia's around the world. No matter what their special need, they all have a joy in them that has completely changed my life. Whether it's Gideon riding the seesaw with only one leg, or Cheryl racing the kids with a deformed foot, they never complain and never let anything stop them.

It is like that verse -- "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." Though these children have a special need now, their big personalities and strong wills far outweigh it. And besides, it's temporary. Their joy and the light they bring to this world has touched so many lives around them.

That is what is seen here, and what I have had the privilege of seeing this week. And that, that never-ending Joy... is eternal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is so good and leads us where we need to go. I'm so glad I found your blog. Lindsay summed up how I feel about working with children with different abilities. Deep down, they are just little people. The differences aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. What a great 16 y/o you had visit!

The Byrd's Nest said...

What a precious teenager. God has great things in store for her I am sure of it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails